Monday, September 20, 2010

HULK!
Been watching the old "Incredible Hulk" TV show on Hulu the last few days and it put me in the mood to do a couple of Hulk sketches. I loved the show as a kid so it's been fun to watch it again. And I have to say, even though it's a bit dated and has some really goofy moments, there are elements of the show that still hold up pretty well. I love Bill Bixby's portrayal of (David) Banner and I think the Ferrigno-Hulk is a lot more believable than either of the two recent big-screen Hulks. In fact, I really wish the movies would utilize more old school make-up and camera tricks instead of pure CGI to create the Hulk. The show did a pretty good job with it and that was for TV show made over 30 years ago. I think a big budget movie today could do an amazing job with the right people behind it. It's been achieved in Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth, Lord of the Rings and others so I think it's definitely possible for a Hulk movie. Not to completely dismiss CGI--I think it can be pretty great when used right--but when it looks like Banner has turned into a video game character instead of a rampaging monster, it kind of loses it's impact. At least for me.

Anyway, end of rant. As for the sketches, I was going for the more old-school, primitive looking Hulk, which I prefer to the green body-builder look he's had for a while now. Guess I'm just in a nostalgic mood lately.

No comments: